NEW YEARS DAY VASILOPITTA BREADFrom grizzlybear 6 years ago
- 2 tb dry yeast shopping list
- 1/4 c Warm water shopping list
- 1/2 ts Each.. cinnamon, anise-seeds, orange peel shopping list
- 1 Bay leaf shopping list
- 1 oz ouzo (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 c water shopping list
- 1/2 c Hot milk shopping list
- 1/4 lb butter shopping list
- 7 c unbleached flour, unsifted shopping list
- 1 c sugar shopping list
- 1/2 ts salt shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 12 walnut halves shopping list
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Put spices, orange peel,bay leaf, and ouzo in a pot with the 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Set aside to steep and cool. Heat milk and remove from heat. Add the butter and allow the milk to cool slightly. Put the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in eggs, yeast, milk mixture, and flavored water (remove only the bay leaf) Stir the mixture until all the flour has been absorbed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth, about 20 minutes. Place in a buttered bowl, and flip the dough so the top is greased as well. Cover with a towel dampened with hot water. Set in a warm, draft free place to rise until doubled in bulk, about 4-6 hours.
- Punch down the dough and knead for about 5 minutes. Shape into one large round loaf and decorate the top with walnut halves. Set aside to rise once more, about 2 hours (uncovered). Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 1 hour.
- Makes 1 loaf.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
- Not added to any groups yet!