NEW YEARS DAY BLACK EYED PEA SOUPFrom grizzlybear 6 years ago
How to make it
- Wash the beans well in cold water several times, then place in a large, heavy stew pot and cover with water. Allow to soak overnight.
- The next morning (start early beans like to take their time), pour off the soaking water, add ham bone, 8 cups of water, onion and seasonings. Put on the back of the stove and let simmer gently until beans are very tender, usually about 4 hours. Add more water if needed.
- Remove and discard ham bone. If the water looks a bit scant pour in 1-2 cups more.
- When beans are good and tender remove about a cupful of the beans and mash well with some of the bean liquid. (This can be done in a blender, of course.)
- Return mashed beans to pot, taste for seasoning, and serve steaming hot over freshly cooked white rice.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating1 people
Oh Grizz, this sounds so good. Almost the same way I make my black eyed peas. I don't use the Bay leaves though. I will be having them tomorrow but we have them lots of times during the year. HAPPY NEW YEAR MY FRIEND!
Gemtnacndn in Jasper loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!