General Taos TofuFrom cmon68 7 years ago
- 1 box firm tofu.(I like Silken) shopping list
- egg substitute shopping list
- 3/4 cup cornstarch shopping list
- vegetable oil for frying shopping list
- 3 chopped green onions shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic shopping list
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock(see reipce, you can also used 1 cube) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce shopping list
- 4 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- red pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar shopping list
- Steamed broccoli or rice or both! shopping list
How to make it
- Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks.
- You can freeze tofu the night before to get a more chicken-like consistency, but it is not a must.
- Mix the egg replacer(or real egg if not vegan) as the box says and then add 3 extra tablespoons of water.
- dip tofu in egg/water mixture completely to coat.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Make sure the cornstarch doesn't clump at the bottom of the bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil.
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat.
- Add green onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes Be careful not to burn garlic
- Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (this is called a slurry.)
- Add this to mixture and stir well.
- Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
- Serve with steamed brocolli and rice,