Spicy Sausage Red Pasta SauceFrom mattandmaren 5 years ago
- 2 hot Italian sausages (8 ounces), casings removed shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped onion shopping list
- 1 (or more to taste) large garlic clove, peeled and finely minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed shopping list
- Pinch of cayenne (or more to taste) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 4 cups tomato juice (lower salt varieties are much better for this - I use a Knudsen organic juice) shopping list
- 1 pound dried pasta (shells, rigatoni or spaghetti) shopping list
- 1 cup fresh ground parmigiano-Reggiano shopping list
How to make it
- Crumble sausage meat and combine well with onions, garlic and fennel seed in a bowl with 1 1/2 cups cold water. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan with a lid. Stir in the cayenne (add more if you want it spicy) and salt, and pour over the olive oil. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, over moderate heat until all the water has cooked away and only the oil remains to moisten the ingredients.
- Add the tomato juice, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 30 minutes with the lid slightly ajar.
- While the sauce simmers, bring a large pot pf water to a boil. Generously salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and transfer to a heated serving bowl. Ladle enough sauce to generously coat the pasta with a little puddle on the bottom. Sprinkle over the Parmigiano-Reggiano and toss. The cheese will thicken the sauce. If it seems dry, add more sauce.
- Serve right away with extra sauce and cheese passed at the table.