Pan seared venisonFrom capedread 7 years ago
- 1 small handful of fresh thyme, leaves picked shopping list
- 5 dried juniper berries shopping list
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 x 800g/1¾lb venison loin, trimmed shopping list
- 4 shallots, peeled and finely sliced shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced shopping list
- 1 glass of robust red wine shopping list
- 200g/7oz fresh blueberries shopping list
- 2 large knobs of butter shopping list
How to make it
- Bash up the thyme and juniper berries in a pestle and mortar with a really good pinch of salt and pepper. Loosen with 2 good lugs of olive oil. rub the oil mixture all over meat. Sear the meat in a hot pan on all sides – roughly 6 minutes for medium rare, 7-8 minutes for medium, Remove it from the pan when it’s cooked to your liking and allow it to rest on a plate for 4 minutes, covered with tinfoil.
- Reduce the heat under the pan and add a good lug of oil. Add the shallots and the garlic and fry gently for around 3 minutes until translucent and tender. Turn up the heat again, add the wine, and let it reduce by half. Add the blueberries and simmer slowly for 4 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat, add the butter, and jiggle and shake the pan around so the sauce goes slightly opaque and shiny. Season to taste.
- Add the meat’s resting juices to the sauce and spoon over the venison. 2