Umngqusho Samp And BeansFrom capedread 9 years ago
- 500g cracked corn (needs to be in pieces) shopping list
- 500g harricot beans or black eyed beans or sugar beans shopping list
- soak overnight shopping list
- 2 onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 tsp whole cloves shopping list
- 1 tsp allspice shopping list
- oil shopping list
- 1 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- black pepper shopping list
- 2 tbls butter (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Pour off the water after soaking and place the samp and bean mix in a large saucepan.
- Cover with water and simmer slowly until the samp and beans are nearly soft and most of the water has evaporated. (Add extra water if necessary.) Season well with salt.
- In the meantime sauté the onion and garlic in a little oil until soft. Add the cloves and allspice.
- Add the onion mixture to the beans and continue to simmer until the samp mix is completely soft.
- Season with nutmeg and black pepper and extra salt to taste if necessary.
- Stir in the butter.
- Serve hot with meat and gravy if desired.