Split Pea SoupFrom waterlily 6 years ago
- 3 cups dry green split peas shopping list
- 5 cups water or stock shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 Tbs oil or butter shopping list
- 1 cup minced onion shopping list
- 3 cloves crushed garlic shopping list
- 1 cup chopped celery shopping list
- I thinly-sliced potato shopping list
- 2 cups diced carrots shopping list
- ¼ cup dry red wine shopping list
- ¼ tsp dry mustard shopping list
- ¼ tsp thyme shopping list
- A few drops of sesame oil shopping list
- 3 Tbs vinegar shopping list
- (Balsamic, apple cider, or rice vinegar are best for this) shopping list
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes shopping list
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Combine split peas, stock, bay leaf and salt. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Near the end of that time, combine the oil or butter and the vegetables in a large skillet and saute until tender. You may need to add a bit of water and cover to steam them along. When tender, add to the soup pot and continue simmering.
- About 15 minutes before serving add the red wine, dry mustard, thyme and sesame oil and, as before, continue simmering. These ingredients are all optional but extremely yummy.
- Just before serving add any of these that you choose:
- vinegar, tomatoes, fresh parsley.
- You can add chopped ham when you add the cooked vegetables, for non-vegetarian split-pea soup.
The Cookwaterlily Joplin, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!