Easy-peas-y Vegetarian LasagnaFrom mellybelly 9 years ago
- 1 large eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick shopping list
- salt shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1 500 g (1 lb) tub cottage cheese or ricotta, drained shopping list
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan + 1/4 cup for the top shopping list
- 1/2 cup frozen peas shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- salt & fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 1 375 g box oven-ready lasagna noodles shopping list
- 1 700 ml jar of favorite tomato sauce (preferably organic) shopping list
How to make it
- Place eggplant in colander in sink & sprinkle with salt, leave to drain.
- While eggplant drains heat oil & butter in sauté pan over medium heat, sauté mushrooms with garlic until browned.
- Place sauteed mushrooms in large mixing bowl. Mix to combine with drained cheese, mozzarella, egg, 1/4 cup Parmesan, peas & herbs. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Preheat broiler. Rinse off eggplant slices, pat dry & place in single layer on parchment lined baking tray. Drizzle both sides of eggplant lightly with olive oil. Broil eggplant a couple of inches from broiler until browned (about 5 minutes a side).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In 9 x 13 inch (large) casserole spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom. Next a layer of pasta sheets (not overlapping & breaking if necessary to fit). 1/2 of cheese mixture, 1/2 of eggplant, sauce, pasta. Alternating until out of eggplant & cheese mixture, ending with pasta & rest of tomato sauce (you will most likely have some pasta sheets leftover). Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Cover tightly with foil & bake covered for 50 minutes. Remove from oven & let stand covered for 10 minutes.