Veal Shank And Vegetable SoupFrom smurfetta 6 years ago
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 4 lb veal Cross Cut Shanks cut 1½" thick shopping list
- 1½ cups chopped onion shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 can (14½ oz) whole peeled tomatoes shopping list
- 2½ cups water shopping list
- ¾ cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil and thyme leaves shopping list
- to taste: salt and coarse ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 can (16oz) white beans, well drained shopping list
- 2 cups spinach strips, lightly packed shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 2 to 3 teaspoons of the oil in Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
- Brown V (½ at a time) on all sides.
- Remove shanks; reserve.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan if needed.
- Cook onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping up any browned bits.
- Stir in tomatoes with liquid, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- Add water, wine, basil, thyme, salt and pepper to pan.
- Return shanks to pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover tightly and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Remove shanks from pan; cool to touch.
- Remove meat from shanks and return to pan; discard bones.
- Add carrots and continue cooking, covered, until carrots are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and spinach; heat through.
The Cooksmurfetta Huntsville, AL
- Not added to any groups yet!