Leahs Lovable CroutonsFrom divaliscious 6 years ago
- stale bread, homemade bread, unused Italian bread - use a rustic bread of any sorts, don't have any? Use at least a multi-grained bread for added interest over plain old white bread - wonder bread will not work here kids! shopping list
- Let bread out for a few days, at least one day if using fresh bread. shopping list
- (I used my sun-dried tomato bread that was left over from last weekend that maybe some of you saw the recipe and topped my last bowl of Top Notch tomato soup with them today) - wow oh wow! shopping list
- Dashes and several shakes of all the following herbs: shopping list
- garlic powder, freshly ground pepper, red chili flakes, dried mustard, celery salt and a good amount of herbs de province (by this time you know it's a favorite of mine) and a little salt. shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- ****Equipment Needed: shopping list
- Bowl, spoon, cookie sheet, one working oven at 350 degrees shopping list
How to make it
- Slice up your stale bread, up into crouton sized bites and place into bowl.
- Drizzle slowly a little olive oil over bread cubes. Stir up bread cubes, till coated with the olive oil.
- I usually drizzle, stir, then drizzle a little more and stir again, this way all cubes are lightly "basted" with the olive oil.
- You will do the same procedure as above as you add each spice.
- If you don't ( I have learned this from experience), one half of your bread cubes will have the seasonings, the other half not)
- And by adding the olive oil first, your chosen herbs and spices will stick to your bread cubes.
- Add each herb and spice, a shake here a dash there...depending upon your bread you chose for this task, select your herbs accordingly.
- My sun-dried tomato bread had lots of garlic, so I didn't need to add much garlic powder for example.
- Place and level coated bread cubes on cookie sheet and place in oven.
- After five minutes, check on them, using metal spatula or spoon turn over your bread cubes, and bake for another 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool, then store in an air-tight container with lid in the refrigerator and enjoy!
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!