Oyster DressingFrom mikeshirer 7 years ago
- Nine cups stale bread broken into small pieces (Frenck Bread works great). shopping list
- unsalted butter (or margarine) to saute seasonings. shopping list
- Three cups diced onions. shopping list
- One bunch green onions. shopping list
- Two and 1/2 cups diced celery. shopping list
- Four bay leaves. shopping list
- One and 1/2 cups green bell pepper (chopped). shopping list
- Three cloves garlic, finely chopped. shopping list
- One half bunch parsley (chopped). shopping list
- Four and 1/2 to six dozen drained oysters (chopped). Reserve liquid. shopping list
- salt (to taste). shopping list
- black pepper (to taste). shopping list
- paprika (to taste). shopping list
- thyme (to taste). shopping list
- oregano (to taste). shopping list
How to make it
- Moisten bread with as much oyster liquid as needed.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet.
- Saute onions, green onions, celery, bell peppers and bay leaves until tender.
- Add garlic and parsley and simmer until parsley is wilted.
- Add chopped, drained oysters and siller until edges of oysters curl (about 10 minutes).
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Add moistened bread to the seasoned oyster mixture and mix lightly (do not press or pack down).
- Add salt, pepper, paprika, tyme and oregano.
- It too dry, gradually add more oyster liquid or milk to the mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes (350 F).
- Dressing is moist enough when mixture follows spoon as you mix.
- Turn into a casserole dish and serve.
- To reheat dressing the following day, put required amount of milk and butter into a pan, heat, add cold dressing, gently work dressing apaet and heat thoroughly.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- mikeshirer Green Bay, WI
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmikeshirer Green Bay, WI
- Not added to any groups yet!