SopaipillasFrom modelsmom 8 years ago
- 4 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 ounces whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lard or vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1/3 cup buttermilk shopping list
- canola oil shopping list
How to make it
- In a food processor, pulse together the flours, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add the lard or shortening and pulse to combine.
- Add the buttermilk and pulse until a moist dough forms.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface, and knead several times until it binds into a cohesive mass.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of 4 inches into a heavy saucepan and heat to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, divide the dough in half.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out half of the dough 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut into 6 squares or triangles.
- Drop 2 cutouts, 1 at a time, into the hot oil and fry, rolling them over, until golden, 40 to 50 seconds.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Serve at once on warmed plates with scoops of ice cream, cream anglais or dusted with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. Or tear off corner & squirt honey inside.