Pot-Roasted chickenFrom marriage 6 years ago
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices shopping list
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed shopping list
- 1 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 1 medium onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried basil, crushed shopping list
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. pepper shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 (16 oz) can tomatoes, cut up shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, apple juice, or chicken broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup cold water shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in dutch oven.
- Cook chicken in hot oil about 10 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly.
- Drain off fat.
- Add carrots, turnips, broth, onion, basil, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and bay leaf to your dutch oven.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer covered about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes and wine. Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Transfer chicken to serving plater and keep warm.
- Skim fat from vegetable mixture, discard bay leaf.
- Stir cold water and cornstarch, stir into dutch oven.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour vegetable mixture over chicken.