Chocolate Covered Cherry CakeFrom livewell 9 years ago
- For Cake: shopping list
- 1 package devil's food cake mix with or without pudding shopping list
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract shopping list
- For Frosting: shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup real butter shopping list
- 1/3 cup whole milk shopping list
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips shopping list
How to make it
- Note: The cherry pie filling replaces oil.
- With rack in center of oven preheat to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 13 by 9 inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- Place cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract in a large Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping sides down as needed. The batter should look thick and well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven (duh... !!)
- Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and just starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 30 - 35 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack while you prepare the glaze.
- For the glaze, place the sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute - no more! Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. When the chips have melted and the glaze is smooth, pour it over the warm cake to cover the entire surface. The glaze will be thin but will firm up. Cool the cake for 20 minutes more before cutting into squares and serving.
- Store the cake covered in aluminum foil at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or, freeze the cake, wrapped in foil, for up to 6 months. Thaw the cake overnight on the counter before serving.