Bread SauceFrom mrscreavo 8 years ago
- 450ml full-cream milk shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 8 cloves shopping list
- 3oz-4oz fresh white breadcrumbs (this can be done in a blender or buy them in the supermarket :)) shopping list
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (optional) shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 1½oz butter or 2tbsp double cream shopping list
- cayenne pepper, for sprinkling (Optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the onion in half stick the cloves into the onion (4 in each half).
- Place the onion into the pan with the milk. Bring it slowly up to the boil,(on a medium heat). Remove it from the heat and leave to stand for 1 hour to infuse all the flavours.. This is optional, i have often just skipped this step and gone on to just finishing the sauce.. Depending on how you want your bread sauce to taste, it can also be left over night if you wish (making sure you cover it with cling film)
- Remove the onion and cloves and stir enough breadcrumbs into the milk to give a thick sauce, again depending on how thick you want the sauce to look, I find it sometimes looks to lumpy like porrige so i use the hand blender to make it a bit more smoother with some lumps.. (my husband is not a lover of lumpy bits in his food LOL)
- Season to taste with salt and nutmeg.
- Stir in the butter or cream, adjust seasoning, then spoon into a warm serving bowl and place on the table.
- Sprinkle with the cayenne pepper just before serving (optional)
- If covered with cling film (after been left to cool) it can be stored in the fridge for up to three days or place in the freezer for 3 months.
- ENJOY :)
The Cookmrscreavo Galway, IE
- Not added to any groups yet!