Red Lentil SoupFrom eilen 9 years ago
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked over shopping list
- 1 med. onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 large carrot, chopped shopping list
- 2 tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp. pimenton dulce (sweet smoked paprika) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper or a few pinches pepper flakes shopping list
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth or water shopping list
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, with juices (canned or fresh) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot heat the oil on medium.
- Add the onion and carrot and a good pinch of salt and slowly cook until softened, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook just for a minute, then add the spices and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the lentils, broth, and tomatoes and another good pinch of salt, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, 15-20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Tranfer to a blender or processor and puree as much as you like.
- Taste for seasoning and add more water or broth for a more "soupy" consistency.
The Cookeilen Portland, OR
The Rating2 people
This soup was amazing! It was super quick and easy, using ingredients generally found in my house and my husband and I went wild for it!gnomers0000 in Jerusalem loved it
Oh my gosh this sounds good!vj in Portland loved it
Eilen, this was great! I used a smidge more cumin and paprika than you asked for, and a dash of soy sauce (my stock was a little underseasoned). Excellent soup. I think this will got in our weekly repetoire!vj in Portland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!