Borsch Beet SoupFrom tigress122 5 years ago
- 4 cups diced beets shopping list
- 1 cup diced carrots shopping list
- 4 cups beef broth shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar (lemon juice is better) shopping list
- 2 cups diced potatoes shopping list
- 2 cups shredded cabbage shopping list
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dillweed shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream shopping list
How to make it
- Place beets and carrots in a large pot with broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add onion, garlic and lemon juice. Simmer until beets and carrots are tender, about 30 mins.
- Add potatoes. Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 mins.
- Add dillweed, cabbage, salt, and pepper. Continue to simmer until cabbage is tender, about 15 mins.
- Extra water can be added at this point to thin out a little.
- Just before serving add the cream, stir to heat, do not boil the soup once the cream is added or the cream will curdle
- Variations: instead of the cream, you can add a dollop of sour cream to each serving of soup. Also, instead of using fresh beets, you can use 2 cans of cooked, diced beets (not pickled), and adjust the cooking time accordingly (the soup is better with fresh beets, but is still very good with canned).