Orzo-Stuffed Bell PeppersFrom ks76017 9 years ago
- ½ cup orzo shopping list
- 4 bell peppers – any color you prefer ( I like assorted colors) shopping list
- ½ lb ground turkey shopping list
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- ½ red bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and diced shopping list
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes shopping list
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped shopping list
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional) shopping list
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce (optional) shopping list
- 1 ½ tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice bell peppers in half, longwise (from top to bottom). Set aside.
- Cook orzo to al-dente as directed. Drain and set aside.
- Brown ground turkey.While cooking, add worcestershire sauce. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes over medium heat taking care not to burn.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and cook for another minute.
- Slowly add the diced tomatoes, crushed red pepper, tabasco, and 1 tsp salt and simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the orzo, ground turkey and tomato mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Scoop orzo mixture into each bell pepper half. Place the peppers in a large casserole dish. Carefully pour about 1 cup of chicken broth into the bottom of the dish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Notes: To make this vegetarian, you can leave out the ground turkey, double the orzo, and use vegetable broth instead. You can also add spinach. Also, you don’t have to use orzo. Using brown rice would work as well. The only drawback is that brown rice takes a long time to cook. Orzo, being pasta, cooks in about 9 minutes.