Marinated Feta Or Lebanese CheeseFrom jimrug1 6 years ago
- Recipe 1. shopping list
- 8 oz. feta or Lebanese cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes. shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 Large or 2 small shallots Sliced Thin shopping list
- 1 Tbl. Fresh oregano or mint leaves minced shopping list
- 1 Tsp. lemon zest shopping list
- Pinch of crushed red chile shopping list
- ********************* shopping list
- Variation: shopping list
- Use method below but omit shallot & lemon zest. shopping list
- Substitute: 3 cloves thin sliced garlic shopping list
- 1 Tbl orange zest shopping list
- Add: 1/4 cup chopped green mediteranean olives shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 1 cup of the oil over low heat.
- Add: Shallots, Lemon Zest, Oregano or Mint, and Crushed Chile
- Cook on low approximately 18 mins. to infuse flavors into oil
- Remove from heat, add Feta or Lebanese Cheese to warm oil.
- Make sure Cheese is submerged but be gentle. The Idea here is to let the cheese soften slightly, absorb the flavors and then harden back up.
- Cover and let the mixture come completely to room temp. 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Add remaining 1/4 oil to freshen taste. Transfer to a fruit jar or other decorative lided jar.
- Maybe served immediately or tastes even better if left in the frige for a few days and up to 1 week.
- To Serve: If refrigerated, let come back to room temp. Arrainge cheese on a platter. Garnish with Greek olives, chopped scallions, and a few salt cured capers, spoon some of the flavored oil around the platter, sprinkle with fresh mint or oregano leaves and/or crushed red chile for color.
- Have lots of soft pita and/or small toasted bagettes close by.
- Hint: When the cheese is gone, the oil makes an awsome bread dipping oil or drizzeled on greens or raw veggies.