Asian-Style Beef Short RibsFrom oregongrandma 9 years ago
- 1/2 cup soy sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed) shopping list
- 2 shallots or 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup chicken or beef broth (or water) shopping list
- 2 Tbs dark sesame oil shopping list
- 5 pounds boneless, beef short ribs shopping list
- 8 thick slices fresh ginger shopping list
- 4 whole star anise shopping list
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, shallots, broth and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Generously season the ribs with pepper. Place a few ribs in a crockpot and pour some of the sauce mixture over them. Place 2 slices of the ginger on the meat. Layer more ribs, sauce and ginger into the cooker. Pour any remaining sauce on top. Scatter the star anise in the cooker. Break the cinnamon stick into 2 pieces and add to the cooker. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or 8 to 10 hours on low until the meat is tender enough to break apart with a fork.
- Transfer the meat to a platter. Remove 2 cups of the cooking liquid into a clear measuring cup or fat separator. The short ribs ar very fatty, the extra fat will rise to the surface. Skim or pour off the fat and then pour the remaining juices over the meat. Serve hot.
The Cookoregongrandma OR
- Not added to any groups yet!