Coq Au VinFrom csmdad 5 years ago
- 3 cups red wine shopping list
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic (1 whole, 2 chopped) shopping list
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 5–6-lb. chicken, cut into 10 pieces shopping list
- 3 tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 8 sprigs flat-leaf parsley plus 1 tbsp. shopping list
- chopped leaves shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 sprigs thyme shopping list
- 1⁄2 lb. slab bacon, cut into 2"-long slivers shopping list
- 3 tbsp. flour shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 shallots, chopped shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 tbsp. butter shopping list
- 18 pearl onions, peeled (see Pearls of Wisdom) shopping list
- 1⁄2 lb. button mushrooms, quartered shopping list
How to make it
- Bring wine, peppercorns, whole garlic, celery, carrots, and yellow onions to a boil in a pot; reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool, pour over chicken in a bowl, and drizzle with 1 tbsp. oil. Cover and marinate overnight.
- Heat oven to 325°. Tie parsley sprigs, bay leaves, and thyme together; set aside. Remove chicken from marinade; pat dry. Strain marinade; reserve liquid and solids separately. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp, 6–8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a bowl; increase heat to medium-high. Working in 2 batches, brown chicken, 6–8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add reserved solids; cook until soft, 10–12 minutes. Sprinkle in flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in reserved liquid; boil. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in remaining garlic, stock, shallots, and salt and pepper to taste; nestle chicken and herb bundle in vegetables. Bake, covered, until tender, about 1 1⁄4 hours. Transfer chicken to a plate; cover with foil. Strain sauce; keep warm.
- While chicken is cooking, heat 1 tbsp. butter and remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pearl onions; cook until golden, 4–5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until tender, 8–10 minutes. Combine onions with bacon. Heat remaining butter over medium-high heat; cook mushrooms until tender, 4–5 minutes. Arrange chicken on platter; top with sauce, bacon, onions, mushrooms, and remaining parsley.
The Cookcsmdad ALEXANDRIA, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!