Layered Vegetable Biryani with curdsFrom lucifer 6 years ago
- 2 Cups of basmati rice (Indian long grain rice) shopping list
- 2 Cups cauliflower florets shopping list
- 3-4 Medium sized onions (sliced thinly) shopping list
- 1 Cup peas shopping list
- 10 mushrooms quartered (if you like mushrooms) shopping list
- 1 carrot (quartered) shopping list
- 100 gms beans (stringed and quartered) shopping list
- 250 gms of ready french fries shopping list
- 2 Cups curds (hung until water is drained out) shopping list
- 3-4 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp Shahi jeera ( a longer version of cumin seeds with a nice flavour) shopping list
- 3-4 cloves shopping list
- 1 half inch stick of cinnamon shopping list
- 5 cardamoms shopping list
- 8-10 Strands of saffron soaked in milk (min 15 mins) shopping list
- 6 Green chillies crushed shopping list
- ½ tsp turmeric powder shopping list
- 2 tsp garam masala shopping list
- A mix of ghee and oil to taste shopping list
- Some butter shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- Chilli powder to taste shopping list
- Fresh chopped coriander shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the rice separately. Drain and set aside.
- Parboil the peas, cauliflower florets, beans and carrots. Drain and set aside.
- From the 4 cups of onions fry 2 cups of onions separately until they are dark brown in color and set aside.
- All the cooking and frying is done on medium heat.
- Once you start the process DO NOT change the heat settings, for optimum taste.
- In a large wok heat ghee and oil mixed as required (Ideally half and half).
- (The health conscious can use olive oil, but u have to use just olive oil by itself, DO NOT add with ghee)
- Add the cloves, shahi jeera, bay leaves, cinnamon and cardamoms.
- Once they start to pop and crackle add about 2 cups of the thinly sliced onions and the crushed green chillies fry until slightly browned.
- Add the hung curds and stir for 2 minutes.
- To this add the parboiled veggies and the mushrooms, stir for about 10-15 seconds.
- Add chilli powder, garam masala, salt, turmeric powder and garam masala and fry for about 8-10 minutes, until the veggies are all coated evenly with the masala, cover and take off the heat. Set aside.
- Take a saucepan or any container that has a saucepan thickness and depth.
- (The olive oil users will have to use butter here, no compromise on taste)
- Add a fine layer of butter at the bottom of the pan, put some of the cooked rice on it.
- Sprinkle a bit of the saffron milk on top of this.
- Add a layer of the cooked veggies on top of this, a little of the browned onions(the ones we set aside) and some fries.
- Add another layer of rice, sprinkle saffron milk, layer the fries, browned onions and veggies.
- Continue until you reach the last rice layer, on this you add the remaining milk with the saffron strands.
- Cover tight and let it cook on low heat for 8-10 mins. This way the rice at the bottom layer browns well.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the rest of the browned onions, chopped coriander and serve hot.( With raita if you like.)
- This dish is ideally cut out like a cake slice so as to get all the layers, bottom to top.
- Raita is churned yoghurt with pineapples diced or cucumber and tomatoes finely diced or just plain yoghurt will do as well.
- Happy eating. I know it is long and tedious, but the result is so worth it.
- Lemme know how you people enjoy this.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- lucifer Bombay, IN
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cooklucifer Bombay, IN
- Not added to any groups yet!