Simple Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato MashFrom stikeymo 6 years ago
How to make it
- First off, cut the Butternut Squash in half and remove the seeds and pith. Remove the tough skin with a peeler until you're left with nothing but lovely orange flesh.
- Dice this up into 1 Inch/2.5cm cubes (or as close as you can get) - it doesn't matter too much if they're too small, just avoid monster sized chunks as these won't soften as well when boiled. Follow suit with the Sweet Potato - peel and dice into similar dimensions.
- Place both the squash and sweet potato into a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Lightly salt the water, bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or so until the cubes are nice and soft (the usual test of seeing if a table knife will slide easily into a cube did the trick for me).
- Once the cubes are ready, drain off the water.
- Add a splash of milk (not too much - you can always add more later) and begin to mash with a standard potato masher.
- Once the mashing is getting well under way, add the rest of the ingredients. I tend to split the butter up to ensure a good spread through out the mash. The spices are to taste really - I start off with roughly teaspoon's worth of nutmeg and cinnamon and then incrementally add the chilli powder until it hits that ideal "hot spot". Experiment and have fun!
- Simply season with salt and pepper, again to taste.
- Enjoy! :)
The Cookstikeymo London, GB
The Rating4 people
I added the picture of the batch I just mixed up. The instructions mention a few ingredients that aren't specifically mentioned: milk, butter.
I used about 4tbsp of evaporated milk and 1 tbsp of butter. The 1 tsp each of the spices worke...moreotterpond in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!