Oysters Rockefeller CasseroleFrom ib4doc 7 years ago
- One quart shucked oysters (about 6 doz) shopping list
- One bag of pre-washed baby spinach leaves shopping list
- Six strips of bacon shopping list
- One medium onion, minced shopping list
- Two ribs of celery, minced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- One stick unsalted butter shopping list
- One cup milk shopping list
- Crystal hot sauce (as much as you like) shopping list
- One cup of bread crumbs shopping list
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 13X9 baking dish shopping list
How to make it
- There are a lot of little steps that can be done at the same time if you have all the ingredients ready to go.
- In a small saucepan over med-low heat, add 1/2 stick butter, onion, celery ,garlic, salt and pepper to taste and sweat the vegetables until they are soft. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the bacon until crisp, chop the bacon and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- Using the same pan with the bacon drippings, wilt the spinach over med-high heat. Set aside to cool. Once cool run a knife through the mixture until it is finely chopped.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, onions, celery, garlic, half of the bread crumbs and the Crystal.
- Make a Bechamel (basic white sauce). Melt 1/2 stick of butter and add the flour. Stir to combine, then whisk in the milk. Cook until thickened, grate the nutmeg, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Spoon the cooled Bechamel into a one quart plastic bag. Filling is made easier if you place the bag in a wide-mouth coffee cup. Set aside.
- To assemble sprinkle half of the remaining bread crumbs in the bottom of the casserole dish,
- Arrange the oysters on the bread crumbs in a single layer. Depending on the size of the oysters, they may push up along the side (I hate when that happens)
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the top of the oysters.
- Sprinkle the chopped bacon over the spinach.
- With a sharp knife or a pair of scissors, snip one corner of the plastic bag containing the Bachamel. Using this like a pastry bag, pipe the white sauce on top of the spinach and bacon. Depending on your piping skills, it may be necessary to use a spatula to smooth out the Bechamel to assure even coverage.
- Sprinkle the remaing bread crumbs over the Bechamel.
- Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven about 50 minutes or until the mixtures bubbles and is heated through.
- Let it rest about 15 mintues before serving.
- I like serving it with toast points, but it can be eaten on a plate
- .....or do as I do and just get a fork and dig in.
The Cookib4doc Ormond Beach, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!