Irish Flag CookiesFrom momto4 5 years ago
How to make it
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Blend into the butter mixture. Divide dough into thirds and shape into balls.
- Working with 1/3 of the dough at a time, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface. With a knife, cut dough into rectangles about 2 inches high by 3 inches long. (6 x 8 cm).
- Place rectangles on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack.
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- Blend confectioners' sugar, salt and vanilla. Add just enough water to make frosting easy to spread.
- Divide frosting into 2 small bowls. Add 2 drops of orange food coloring to one bowl and 2 drops of green food coloring to the other bowl. Mix each until the colors are even.
- Frost 1 inch of the left side of each Irish Flag Cookie with the green frosting and 1 inch of the right side of the cookies with the orange frosting, leaving the middle inch unfrosted.