Canned Tomato Soup for CampingFrom deliathecrone 6 years ago
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (you could use your own canned tomatoes, if you have some - otherwise, large size store-bought cans are fine) shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 cups vegetable broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup onion, minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons italian seasonings (here again, use your own fresh herbs, if you have them, or the dry mixture from the store, if you don't) shopping list
- fresh basil leaves shopping list
- butter or margarine shopping list
How to make it
- Mix tomatoes, garlic, broth, onion, and Italian seasoning in a medium soup pot. Heat through completely.
- Ladle or pour into sterilized canning jars, which have a fresh basil leaf in the bottom of each jar. The size of the jars you use and number of servings per jar depends on how many people you will be serving in camp. I use pint jars and serve 2 people. If you will have 3 or more people in camp, use quart jars, and put another basil leaf at the top of each jar. Be sure to leave about a half inch of head space in each jar.
- Put the lids on the jars and close, but not tightly.
- Process in a hot water bath, for the same amount of time recommended for just tomatoes. Pints=35 minutes, Quarts=45 minutes.
- Tighten the lids when the jars have cooled after processing.
- To serve, warm slowly over medium heat, and add 1/4 stick of butter or margarine for each pint of soup.