Curried Lentils In Tomato SauceFrom katcooks 6 years ago
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 piece fresh ginger (2 inches long), peeled and finely grated shopping list
- coarse salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons curry powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garam masala* shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 jar (26 ounces) quality store-bought tomato sauce shopping list
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) cooked lentils, rinsed and drained or about 2-3 cups cooked lentils shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime) shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish (optional) shopping list
- Cooked basmati (or other long-grain white or brown) rice, for serving shopping list
- plain yogurt, about 1-2 cups shopping list
- * this is an Indian spice available at most health food stores or major grocers shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium.
- Add onion and ginger; season with salt.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, lentils, and 1 cup water. Simmer until slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro; season with salt.
- Serve lentil mixture with rice;
- Top each serving with a bit of yogurt
- Garnish with more cilantro, if desired.
The Cookkatcooks Newport, OR
The Rating3 people
wow - my boyfriend did a lentil recipe the other day which I found to be disastrous - hopefully he will get another chance when we make this dish up! It sounds great - and if your toddler liked it, that I have to too!divaliscious in Dutchess County loved it
Just made this dish with some left over lentils from another recipe! I'm saving it for supper tomorrow, but I had to try it and omg! so delicious! I added some steamed edamame for a bit more protein and yum! The half cup that I tasted filled me up ...moreVirginiaLynn in Clover loved it