Chicken and Rice SoupFrom trishessy 8 years ago
How to make it
- Place your hen with bones (halved) into an 8 qt stock pot.
- Cover generously with water
- Peel an onion leaving the root ball on
- Toss the onion into the pot
- Add about a tablespoon of salt
- Break 2 stalks of onion in half and toss them in the pot
- Boil the H*!! out of the chicken about 2 hours - till the meat starts falling off the bone
- Remove chicken from pot
- Force cool the stock in a sink full of ice water.
- Strain the stock
- Discard bones and vegies - if you want at this time cool the stock and skim off fat.
- Return stock to pot
- Chop remaining onion & celery and add them to stock
- Remove bones, skin, & fat from chicken, chop it into bitesize pieces & add to stock.
- Bring stock to a boil
- Add about a cup of rice (I use brown rice)
- Now add fresh ground black pepper (I like a lot especially if we have colds) and/or hot sauce - to taste
- It is ready when the rice is cooked
- Check that it has enough salt before you serve.
- If you want Chicken Noodle cook all the ingredients (except rice) for about 30 minutes then add the noodles of your choice and cook about 1 minute short of suggested time.
- For chicken & dumplings - we like flat dumplings so I use flour tortillas cooking the stock until the vegies are done, and after I turn off the fire under the stock, I cut up the tortillas and drop them individually into the pot stirring occasinally & serve