Green Tomato and Cabbage RelishFrom chefmeow 5 years ago
- 16 medium green tomatoes shopping list
- 1 medium head cabbage shopping list
- 6 medium onions shopping list
- 6 green peppers shopping list
- 6 sweet red peppers shopping list
- 1/4 cup flaked pickling salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard shopping list
- 6 cups white vinegar shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric shopping list
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger shopping list
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds shopping list
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds shopping list
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices tied in a cheesecloth bag shopping list
How to make it
- With a sharp knife coarsely chop all vegetables then combine and mix with the salt.
- Let stand overnight then the next morning drain well discarding all liquid.
- Put mustard in a large kettle.
- Gradually blend in vinegar, sugar, turmeric, ginger, mustard seeds and celery seeds.
- Simmer for 2 minutes then strain and add chopped vegetables and spice bag.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes then remove spice bag.
- Pack vegetables immediately into clean, hot pint jars leaving 1/4" headspace.
- Be sure liquid covers vegetable in the jars.
- Seal and process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath or steam canner.
- Remove and place on wire racks and allow to cool.