Polenta Squares With Chunky Tomato SauceFrom chihuahua 5 years ago
- 2 Tbs. butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 4 cups milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (can be adjusted) shopping list
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 jar (28 oz.) Chunky Garden-Style spaghetti sauce shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from saucepan with slotted spoon; set aside.
- Bring milk, salt and cayenne pepper to a boil in large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- While stirring milk mixture vigorously, add cornmeal in very thin but steady stream (do not let lumps form.) Go slow. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, uncovered, 40 to 60 minutes until polenta is very thick, stirring frequently. (Polenta is ready when wooden spoon stands upright in the center of mixture.)
- Add bell pepper mixture and Parmesan cheese to saucepan; stir to combine.
- Spray 13X9X2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread polenta evenly into baking pan.
- Cover; let stand at room temperature 6 hours or until completely cooled and firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut polenta into 24 squares. Pour spaghetti sauce evenly over polenta.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until sauce is bubbly around edges of pan.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with provolone cheese.
- Bake 2 to 3 minutes just until provolone cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Loosen polenta edges with spatula.
- Carefully lift polenta pieces out of pan. Garnish as desired.
- Great served with a green salad.
The Cookchihuahua Sonoma County, USA
- Not added to any groups yet!