Hong Kong Pineapple BunsFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- Your Favorite sweet bread dough recipe, prepared shopping list
- : shopping list
- pineapple TOPPING use 3/4 to 1 oz per 1 - 1 1/2 oz bun shopping list
- (can be kept for long time in refrigerator/freezer) shopping list
- 3 oz sugar shopping list
- 2 oz butter shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp soda shopping list
- 2 tbsp milk shopping list
- 5 oz flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Use your sweet breads recipe which makes 12 buns.
- After 2 rises and punch downs, shape them into round buns of 2 oz each.
- 2. Prepare the "pineapple topping", take 1 oz of prepared pineapple topping for each 2 oz bun.
- Roll the pineapple topping to a round flat sheet of about 3 mm thick, cover only the top of rised bun and score topping lightly in a checked pattern with a knife [to have it look like pineapple].
- Brush with egg wash and bake at 180*C [375*F] for 10-15 mins.
- 1. beat butter and sugar until creamy and fluffly.
- 2. add in egg yolk, soda, milk, mix well.
- 3. sift flour and baking powder, add to butter, and mix with slow speed or by hand until smooth and not sticky. Beware not to form gluten, that is don't over mix
- 4. Chill, wrapped in pastic film, in refrigerator for use [about 1 hour].
- 5. take out and knead as little as possible, if too dry, put in some oil, if too runny, put in some flour.
- 6. take 1 oz and roll out but don't roll too big, or too thin, [about 3mm] should be slightly smaller than the bun top which is about 1/2 of the size of the bun top.
- 7. brush the bun with egg and put the topping on bun right before baking, score lightly to make checked pineapple surface effect, brush on egg wash. Bake as instucted above.