Mushroom Beef Barley SoupFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 beef shanks, bone in, marrow in center, with meat on bones shopping list
- 2 beef shank crosscut, boneless shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 3 leeks (slice from root toward tops lengthwise, fan out and wash under water until all sand is removed, then cut off roots and slice across) shopping list
- 4 carrots, scraped clean & cut across shopping list
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut in pieces shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic shopping list
- 3 packages dried mushrooms, 1 ounce each shopping list
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari for gf soup shopping list
- 1 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon marjoram shopping list
- Hot Shot, to taste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules, beef soup base kind shopping list
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 6 cups barley, cooked shopping list
How to make it
- Brown beef shanks in oil & remove from pot. Season well with salt & pepper & add boneless crosscut beef shank meat to pot. Brown well & remove.
- Meanwhile process all the veggies (except fresh and dried mushrooms) in food processor until medium dice. Add garlic to food processor by itself and process finely. Add all to pot
- Dice boneless crosscut shank meat & add back into pot. Add the beef shank bones with meat on them. Add the dried mushrooms. Cover all with water, bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Cover.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in butter until browned and add to pot.
- Simmer soup for a few hours until the meat falls off the bones. Remove bones. Season soup with Hot Shot and salt & pepper.
- Stir cooked barley into soup and simmer another 1/2 hour or so.
- NOTE: To make this gf mushroom beef noodle soup, use Glutino tagliatelle gf noodles and remove soup before adding the barley for everyone else. Mix with the noodles.