White ChiliFrom barbhelm 6 years ago
- 1 lb large white beans, soaked overnight in water, drained shopping list
- 6 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped (divided) shopping list
- 1 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies shopping list
- 2 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken shopping list
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese shopping list
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- 1 Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and half the onions in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, 3 hours or more. Add additional water (or watered-down broth), if necessary.
- 2 In a skillet, sauté remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add chicken and continue to simmer 1 hour. Check seasoning, add jalapeno or serrano to level of desired hotness.
- 3 Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro, chopped fresh tomato, salsa, chopped scallions, and/or guacamole. Serve with fresh warmed flour tortillas or tortilla chips
- Simply Recipes http://www.simplyrecipes.com
The Cookbarbhelm Alexandria, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!