Awesome Orange Yeast RollsFrom crabhappychick 7 years ago
- 4 1-ounce yeast cakes (refrigerated section of your market) shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F) shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 1 egg, room temperature shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3 1/4 cups flour shopping list
- 1 cup butter, room temperature shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel shopping list
How to make it
- For Dough: Crumble yeast into large bowl. Stir in water and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes
- Stir shortening, egg and salt into yeast mixture. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until mixture is smooth. Grease bowl. Add dough, turning to coat entire surface. Cover and let rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
- For filling: Beat butter and sugar to blend well. Stir in orange peel.
- To assemble: Roll dough out on generously floured surface to thickness of 3/16 inch. Spread filling evenly over dough. Roll dough up into cylinder, as for jelly roll. Cut into 1 1/2 inch-thick slices. Set each slice in paper muffin cup. Arrange on baking sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in warm draft-free area for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake rolls until lightly browned on top, about 12 minutes.