Basic White Flour PooriFrom midgelet 7 years ago
How to make it
- The trick to making this puffy Indian fried bread is to have the dough rest before use and have the deep oil seriously hot ( 375 to 400F )
- Consider the first fried poori a test poori because if your oil isn't hot enough the poori won't puff! Still, good enough to eat though!
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add oil and stir in enough water and then knead to make a pliable non sticky dough.Knead a minute or two.
- Shape into a ball. Cover with a warm bowl and let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil ( about 3 inches ) in a heavy duty kettle or pot until 375/400F.
- The oil is ready to use when a cube of bread thrown in will immediately sizzle and start to brown.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a large thin circle or oval.
- Cover pieces with a towel.
- Fry individually.
- Carefully slide/drop dough into the hot oil Dough will sink to the bottom and start to float to the top.
- Push down once gently with a spoon so dough remains covered with oil.
- The dough will rise and puff up.
- Fry pale golden, turning once with 2 spoons or a tong .
- Transfer pooris to paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately.
- A well made poori will be light and puffy with a layered dough interior.
- Some recipes for pooris use melted butter or ghee instead of oil.
- Other recipes are made with part whole wheat flour.
- Sometimes spices ( such as coriander or oregano etc. ) are added.
- Poori recipes may also be made with yogurt or mashed potatoes.
- Some add baking powder or baking soda as a leavener.
- Try this basic recipe and then experiment with other recipes until you find your favorite .
- Double recipe if desired.
- Pooris are best eaten immediately as they are soft, tender and airy.
- They harden as they cool.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating1 people
what we call Indian fry bread great tasty recipe high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Food Styling And Photography254 members
Five Or Fewer180 members
Indian Flavors And Recipes263 members
Vegetarian Appetizers41 members
Anything Fried68 members
Breads Rolls And Biscuits37 members
International Dishes43 members
Intercontinental Love Affair5 members