Toatsed Almond SconesFrom cheric 6 years ago
- 1 cup blanched almonds (whole, slivered or sliced), toasted shopping list
- 2 T sugar shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup cold whole milk shopping list
- 1/4 tsp almond extract shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 T baking powder shopping list
- 1/8 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces shopping list
- Garnish: about 1/4 cup sliced almonds shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400. Have a baking sheet ready.
- Process 1/2 cup almonds and the sugar in a processor or blender just until ground. Finely chop remaining 1/2 cup.
- Stir egg, cream, milk and extract in a bowl until blended.
- Whisk flour, ground almond mixture, baking powder and salt in a large bowl to combine. Add butter adn toss to coat with flour. Quickly, working with fingertips or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Add egg mixture; stir with a fork just until a dough forms. Don't overdo; dough will be wet and sticky. Stir in chopped almonds. Still in bowl, gently knead dough by hand, or turn it with a rubber spatula 8 to 10 times.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; divide in half. Working with 1 piece at a time, pat dough into a circle about 5 inches in diameter. Cut in 6 wedges; brush wtih water. Top each with a few sliced slmonds. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 18 to 21 minutes until golden. Transfer to a wire rack adn cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Per scone: 257 calories; 18 g fat; 19 g carb