PoliFrom cholena 6 years ago
How to make it
- Mix flour , turmeric, salt.
- Make a soft, rubbery dough by mixing with a little milk and a fair amount of oil.
- Cover and set aside for an hour or so .
- Cook Chana dal in pressure cooker to a soft consistency .
- Drain all the water.
- Add jaggery to the dhal and cook for another 10mins .
- Grind it dry .
- Add the spices and mix well with hand to get a smooth mixture.
- Cool it to room temperature .
- Make small balls .
- Now , take a ball of dough and spread with hand , by pulling . Keep a ball of filling in the middle and cover with the dough and seal the ends .
- Apply oil to a plastic sheet or banana leaf ,
- Roll the ball like a thin large pancake , making sure the filling dunn spill out .
- Heat a greased griddle over medium heat .
- Invert the poli on the hot griddle and slowly peel off the leaf / plastic sheet .
- Roast till it gets to a golden brown colour on both sides .
- Serve hot / cold .
- I like it served in room temperature .
- This delicious sweetmeat can be eaten as such .
- Store in a zip lock bag and can be frozen for weeks .
- When serving , just microwave it .