VichyssoiseFrom cshmny 8 years ago
- 4 pounds leeks, cleaned and dark green sections removed shopping list
- 6 ounces unsalted butter shopping list
- Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning shopping list
- 4 pounds yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced small shopping list
- 1 gallon vegetable broth (can be made with chicken broth) shopping list
- 1 quart heavy cream shopping list
- 1 quart buttermilk (I have also used clabbered milk with success) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons white pepper shopping list
- 4 tablespoons snipped chives shopping list
How to make it
- Chop the leeks into small pieces.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and just bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk, and white pepper.
- Add salt or white pepper to taste.
- Chill and serve cold.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with fresh chives.
- Garnish and serve.