Steamed Carrot PuddingFrom deliathecrone 5 years ago
- ½ cup butter shopping list
- ½ cup sugar shopping list
- ½ cup dark molasses shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark rum shopping list
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- ½ teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots (about 2 large or 3 medium) shopping list
- 1 cup raisins shopping list
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and molasses until smooth. Mix in rum.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and spices.
- Beat dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Add carrots, raisins and walnuts. Mix well.
- Butter a 6-8 cup tube mold or deep 6-8 cup metal bowl.
- Scrape the batter into the mold or bowl.
- Butter a piece of foil and place, buttered side down, over the batter; crimp foil tightly against the edges of the mold or bowl, including the center hole, if there is one.
- Set the mold in a wok on a low rack or canning jar ring.
- Pour in boiling water to reach half way up the mold.
- Cover and cook at a gentle boil until the edges of the pudding spring back when lightly pressed (3 to 3 ½ hours; center may feel slightly sticky).
- Remove pudding from the wok and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Run a knife blade around the edges of the mold or bowl to loosen the pudding, then invert onto a plate.
- Rap the top of the mold to loosen it from the pan.
- Garnish pudding with carrot curls and mint, if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Add half and half to taste.
- To make ahead, let the pudding cool completely, then wrap airtight and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- You can also freeze the airtight-wrapped pudding for longer periods.
- To serve if frozen, thaw, then seal in foil and steam as directed previously for about 45 minutes.
- Alternative cooking pans: you can use a shallow 6 to 8 cup mold, and steam it on the rack over 1 ½ to 2 inches of boiling water for the same amount of time as the larger mold.
- Per serving: 417 calories, 5 grams protein, 61 grams carbohydrates, 17 grams total fat, 31 milligrams cholesterol, 200 milligrams sodium.
The Cookdeliathecrone Johnston, SC
- Not added to any groups yet!