Chicken Bacon RouladesFrom jencathen 4 years ago
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced shopping list
- 10 bacon slices (about 1/2 pound) shopping list
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds total) shopping list
- lemon pepper seasoning to taste (or ground black pepper with a little lemon zest) shopping list
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan (about 1 ounce) shopping list
- 1 Tbps olive oil shopping list
- 1 clove of garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/3 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Working in batches, cook the bacon over medium heat in an ovenproof heavy skillet, until lightly brown but still flexible (not crisp). Place the bacon on paper towels to drain.
- Cook the shallots in the remaining bacon fat over low heat, stirring, until softened. Transfer shallots with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and leave any fat remaining in skillet.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. With smooth side of a meat pounder pound each breast to 1/8-inch thickness. Discard plastic from boned side of each breast. You can skip this step by asking butcher to do this for you.
- Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper (or ground black pepper and a little lemon zest) and salt.
- Place 2 1/2 slices of bacon lengthwise (parallel with grain of flesh) along middle of each breast. Top with shallots and Parmesan. Using plastic wrap to help you, tightly roll up each breast lengthwise, tucking in the ends to enclose the filling. Secure seams with wooden toothpicks.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to reserved fat in skillet and heat over medium high heat. Brown roulades on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer the skillet to middle of oven and bake roulades until just cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate with tongs and keep warm, covered with aluminum foil. Pour off fat from skillet. Add wine to the skillet and deglaze over medium high heat, scraping up brown bits. Boil wine until reduced to about 1 tablespoon. Add garlic and butter. Cook mixture over medium low heat, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook roux, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth and cream and bring to a boil, whisking.
- Simmer the sauce, whisking, 2 minutes. Pour through a fine mesh sieve into a small saucepan. Keep sauce warm. Remove the wooden toothpicks from roulades and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Spoon some sauce in center of each of 4 plates and arrange roulade slices decoratively on sauce.
People Who Like This Dish 2
- clbacon Birmingham, AL
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔