Chocolate PillowsFrom watson2167 7 years ago
- 1/2 cup port or red zinfandel* shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- 2 cups canola oil or cooking oil shopping list
- 12 wonton wrappers shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1 3-oz. bar bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 6 pieces shopping list
- sugar shopping list
- vanilla ice cream shopping list
- Grated bittersweet or semisweet chocolate shopping list
How to make it
- For sauce, in a small saucepan heat port to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; cook and stir 1 minute. Add cherries; cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in butter; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 350 degrees F. While oil heats, lightly brush edges of one wonton wrapper with some of the beaten egg. Place 1 piece of chocolate in center atop wonton wrapper. Place another wonton wrapper atop. Press edges to seal.
- Cook filled wontons, one at a time, in hot oil for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning frequently to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Adjust heat as needed to maintain oil temperature. Cool wontons slightly. Sprinkle wontons evenly with sugar.
- Serve wontons with sauce and ice cream. Sprinkle ice cream with grated chocolate and serve with two spoons.
- **Test kitchen tip: If using zinfandel, increase sugar in sauce to 2 tablespoons.