Hearty Spiced Italian Pot RoastFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 1 stick cinnamon stick, broken into pieces shopping list
- 4 whole cloves shopping list
- 3 allspice berries shopping list
- 6 black peppercorns shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 3 1/2 pounds chuck roast, lean and trimmed shopping list
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, sliced shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced shopping list
- 1 cup burgundy shopping list
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Grind cinnamon, cloves, allspice and peppercorns until fine powder - set aside.
- Heat large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Season meat with salt & pepper and brown in hot skillet on both sides. Remove meat to slow cooker.
- Add onion to skillet. Saute, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic, celery and carrots. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add spice mixture. Cook for 2 minutes. Add red wine. Cook for 10 minutes or until reduced by one-third. Stir in crushed tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Pour sauce over meat in slow-cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat falls away from bone.
- Transfer to warmed serving dish to serve.