Chunky Chili with BeansFrom cyates798 8 years ago
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil shopping list
- 2 lbs. stew beef, cut into bite-size pieces shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 med. onion, coursely chopped shopping list
- 2 (14-1/2 oz) cans original recipe stewed tomatoes, undrained shopping list
- 1 (8 oz) can plain tomato sauce shopping list
- 3 (16 oz) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 2 cups warm beef broth shopping list
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chili powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole dried oregano leaves shopping list
- 1 teaspoon paprika shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (less for a more milder taste, more for a spicier taste) shopping list
How to make it
- Dredge stew beef in flour, salt and pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven until hot.
- Add beef and cook stirring constantly to brown. Reduce heat to med-high and add garlic and onion. Cook and stir about 3 minutes.
- Add cans of stewed tomatoes, crushing the tomatoes in your hand as you pour into pot. Then pour in tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Add in pinto beans, stirring then add in beef broth.
- As you add in each seasoning, stir well before continuing to the next.
- Add cocoa powder, stir. Add chili powder, stir. Add cumin, stir.
- Add oregano, stir. Add paprika, stir.
- Add in cayenne pepper and stir well. Bring to a slow boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until beef is tender.
- Note: Cocoa powder, you ask? Cocoa powder helps mellow the flavor and the acidity of the tomatoes without sweetening. It also helps give the chili a nice rich red color.