Trinidad PastellesFrom skyduchess 6 years ago
- pound beef steak, minced or ground shopping list
- 1 pound lean pork, minced or ground shopping list
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, minced shopping list
- 1 small bunch green onions, minced including the tops shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vinegar shopping list
- ¼ cup raisins, minced (optional) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional) shopping list
- 10 green olives, minced (optional) shopping list
- salt and black pepper to taste shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- 12 7-inch square pieces of banana leaf for wrapping shopping list
- 3 cups grated fresh corn, excess juice squeezed out shopping list
- cotton string for tying shopping list
How to make it
- Brown the meat in the oil, then add the onion, green onions, garlic, tomatoes, vinegar, the optional ingredients (if desired), and the salt and pepper and cook down over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- The mixture should be fairly dry.
- Using the vegetable oil, coat the inside of the banana leaves.
- Divide out the corn among the leaves and spread it about 5 inches square and ¼ inch thick on each leaf.
- Divide out the meat mixture and spread it out over the corn (about two tablespoons per leaf).
- Fold up the leaves into envelope-like packages and secure them with the string.
- Either boil the pastelles or steam them for an hour.