Chocolate Beef StewFrom becca1nine 8 years ago
- 2 pounds or so blade pot roast, cut into large chunks shopping list
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 3 stalks celery, chopped shopping list
- 3 x onions, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 x carrots, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 can (28-ounce) whole tomatoes shopping list
- 1 cup beef broth shopping list
- 1 x dried Ancho pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tbsp dried oregano shopping list
- 2 heaping spoonfuls of cocoa powder shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 2 ounces 70% dark chocolate, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Dry the beef chunks well with paper towel and heat a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add a thin film of oil and when thin wisps of smoke begin to appear, carefully add a single layer of beef. Patiently sear the beef on all sides adding the unmistakable richness of flavour that can only come from browning. Depending on the size of your pot you may have to do this in several batches so the meat doesn't overwhelm the works and cool the pan. When all the beef has been browned add it back to the pot.
- Add the celery, onions and carrots. Add the tomatoes, chopping them a bit with a spoon. Add beef broth, Ancho, spices and cocoa and stir well. Season with salt and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering until the beef is very tender and the broth has thickened, about 1-1/2 hours. Stir in the dark chocolate and serve immediately!
The Cookbecca1nine Surrey, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!