Chicken MarsalaFrom hsfargis 6 years ago
- 4 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts shopping list
- 8 oz. cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 2 oz. bacon or pancetta, chopped shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1/2 C flour shopping list
- vegetable oil for panfrying shopping list
- 1 C sweet marsala wine shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste shopping list
- juice from half a lemon, about 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp shopping list
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cold shopping list
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Preparing the chicken cutlets: Trim excess fat off of the breast. There is a small strip of breast meat, the tenderloin muscle, that usually falls off when you start to pound the meat so it’s best to just pull that piece off and you can save it for stir fry. Pound each cutlet to an even thickness.
- You can keep the chicken cutlets warm by holding them in a 200ºF oven while you prepare the sauce. Preheat the oven to 200ºF and place a large heatproof dinner plate in the oven.
- Pat the breasts dry and salt and pepper each chicken cutlet. Then dredge the cutlets in flour.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken breasts. Panfry for about 3 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown. Then flip and cook the second side for about 3 minutes, until golden brown and the meat is firm to the touch. Transfer the chicken cutlets to the warm plate and return to the oven.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms release liquid and the liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, and pancetta to the mushrooms. Cook until the tomato paste begins to brown, about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Off heat add the Marsala wine then return the pan to heat. Simmer vigorously until the marsala has reduced a bit and is slightly syrupy. Take the chicken out of the oven and pour in any accumulated juices.
- Off heat, add in the lemon juice. Whisk in cold butter one tablespoon at a time. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper, stir in chopped parsley, and pour over each chicken cutlet.