Braised Duck Legs With Pears And Onion PearlsFrom becca1nine 6 years ago
- 4 x duck legs, whole shopping list
- salt and black pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter (25 ml) shopping list
- 1 lb. pearl onions, blanched and peeled (450 gm) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and sliced shopping list
- 2 x stalks celery, diced shopping list
- 3 sprigs rosemary shopping list
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (15 ml) shopping list
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar(5 ml) shopping list
- 1 x cinnamon stick shopping list
- 4 x whole cloves shopping list
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (25 ml) shopping list
- 2 cups dry red wine (500 ml) shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock (500 ml) shopping list
- 2 x bosc pears, ripe but firm, peeled , cored and cut into eighths shopping list
How to make it
- Trim excess fat off duck legs, render and save for cooking or discard. Season duck with salt and pepper.
- Melt half of the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed casserole over medium-high heat. Brown duck evenly, about 4 minutes per side. Drain off excess fat, if desired. Transfer duck to a plate.
- Melt remaining butter in the casserole. On medium heat brown onions, stirring frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, celery and rosemary sprigs and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is just soft , about 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Deglaze with vinegar and add remaining ingredients, except pears.
- Return duck to casserole. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until wine is reduced by one third.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until duck is tender.
- Add the sliced pears , cover and simmer for a further 30 minutes , until pears are tender.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve duck with the sauce.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- becca1nine Surrey, CA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookbecca1nine Surrey, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!