Oven BBQ TurkeyFrom dmajor 6 years ago
- 12 pound or larger turkey, cleaned and giblets removed shopping list
- Bayou spice Recipe shopping list
- 1 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark chili powder shopping list
- 2 tablespoons white black pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon creole spice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 1 cup favorite bbq sauce shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- *1/2 cup bourbon(optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Mix together all ingredients for Bayou Spice Rub.
- Rub on turkey and under skin(I loosen the skin and put my hand under to push spice around under the skin)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place turkey in roaster pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Lower heat to 225 and bake for 8 hour or overnight, basting with juices every so often ( I do this several times before going to bed and then twice when I get up in the morning)
- Check turkey to make sure it is completely cooked.
- If not, continue cooking at 350 degrees until cooked.
- In sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and bbq sauce.
- Cook over low/med heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bourbon and continue to cook for a few minutes longer.
- Remove turkey from oven.
- Brush on sauce and return to oven and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Use juices as a side sauce. This can be thickened if desired by adding bbq sauce to it.
- Before serving, pour a little of the juices over the turkey.
- Let sit a few minutes before carving.
The Cookdmajor Slidell, LA
The Rating3 people
Love the bayou spice recipe too. Thanks for sharing!!jett2whit in Union City loved it
Honey...YOU are my 'kind-of-Cook'!
I LOVE the sound of this turkey recipe
and I believe it tastes as good as it sounds!
I am NOT waiting till the 'holidays' to
try this baby out!!!
LOVE that 'Bayou' Spice Rub! ...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Yummmmm.....sounds sooo delicious, Dmajor! :) TY for sharing! :)bakermel in Topeka loved it