Oven BBQ TurkeyFrom dmajor 6 years ago
- 12 pound or larger turkey, cleaned and giblets removed shopping list
- Bayou spice Recipe shopping list
- 1 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark chili powder shopping list
- 2 tablespoons white black pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon creole spice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 1 cup favorite bbq sauce shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- *1/2 cup bourbon(optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Mix together all ingredients for Bayou Spice Rub.
- Rub on turkey and under skin(I loosen the skin and put my hand under to push spice around under the skin)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place turkey in roaster pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Lower heat to 225 and bake for 8 hour or overnight, basting with juices every so often ( I do this several times before going to bed and then twice when I get up in the morning)
- Check turkey to make sure it is completely cooked.
- If not, continue cooking at 350 degrees until cooked.
- In sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and bbq sauce.
- Cook over low/med heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bourbon and continue to cook for a few minutes longer.
- Remove turkey from oven.
- Brush on sauce and return to oven and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Use juices as a side sauce. This can be thickened if desired by adding bbq sauce to it.
- Before serving, pour a little of the juices over the turkey.
- Let sit a few minutes before carving.
The Cookdmajor Slidell, LA
The Rating3 people
Yummmmm.....sounds sooo delicious, Dmajor! :) TY for sharing! :)bakermel in Topeka loved it
Honey...YOU are my 'kind-of-Cook'!
I LOVE the sound of this turkey recipe
and I believe it tastes as good as it sounds!
I am NOT waiting till the 'holidays' to
try this baby out!!!
LOVE that 'Bayou' Spice Rub! ...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Love the bayou spice recipe too. Thanks for sharing!!jett2whit in Union City loved it