Indian Fried Fish Gujurati-styleFrom busmamawilliams 5 years ago
- 1and 1/2 pounds boneless fish fillets of your choice (we like tilapia) shopping list
- 2 Tablesps. besan ( chick-pea flour. Found in Indo/Pak grocery stores ) shopping list
- 2 Tablesps. white flour shopping list
- 1/2 teacup warm water shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable oil ( for frying ) shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 teasp. salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garam masala shopping list
- 2 Tablesps. fresh cilantro; chopped shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder ( or to taste ) shopping list
How to make it
- 1 ) Wash & cut fillets in half. Place on large plate & sprinkle them with 1 teasp. salt, 1/2 teasp. garam masala & the vinegar. Let sit while you make the batter.
- 2 ) for batter: Combine chick-pea flour & white flour together in a fairly large bowl. Make into a thick batter by adding the water gradually & beating well. Add the remaining salt & garam masala, herbs & cayenne powder to batter & beat for several minutes. Heat oil in deep frying pan until it's quite hot. Coat fillet pieces on both sides with the batter. Slide 3 or 4 pieces at a time, carefully, into hot oil (don't crowd pan ) & fry fairly quickly ( so fillets don't absorb too much oil ) until golden. Remove with slotted spoon, letting excess oil drain back into pan. Place on paper towels for minute or two before arranging on serving platter. This dish is traditionally served with lemon pickle & curried potatoes & tomatoes.