Killer TofuFrom obajoo 8 years ago
How to make it
- Take the tofu and slice into 4 equal parts. Put a few paper towels above and below them. Place a weight of some kind on top of them (I use a cookie sheet with a bag of flour) and let gravity very gently smoosh the excess water out of the tofu. You may have to change out the paper towels if they become saturated with tofu gunk. Drain for at least 15 minutes, longer if you like chewier tofu.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients, sans oil, almonds and cornstarch, and set aside.
- Once drained, chop the tofu into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or nonstick skillet.
- Add tofu cubes to skillet, and brown. You don’t have to move them around much. Once they get brown on one side (it may take a while) swoosh em around to get the other sides. Since this isn’t raw meat, don’t worry if some sides stay white. It really doesn’t matter :)
- Once tofu is browned to your liking, add most of the teriyaki mixture, reserving about a 1/4 cup for the cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the cornstarch to the reserved liquid and stir to dissolve. Add slurry to the tofu and stir constantly. It will only take about a minute for the sauce to start to thicken. Once it does, remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve with rice. Yummy!